Monday, March 26, 2007

Technology

I guess I'm old fashioned. I hate cell phones, although I do have one. I still have the same computer I've had for almost three years and have only done one upgrade to it (and that was just so I could run a game). The only thing I have to have the newest version of are videogame systems. Then after a few months of it, I'm breaking out the older systems.

The reason I explained that was that I just read my brothers blog where he was talking about his love of the newest and best technology. I can attest that is true with him, just as he can attest to the fact that I like the older stuff better.

It's not like the two of us are generations apart, I'm nine years older than him. I was born in the mid 70's he was born in the late 80's, so it's not the fact that our ages are far apart that makes us different in the aspect of technology. As a matter of fact, seeing as how I was old enough to remember the leaps in technology better than he is, you would think I would be more impressed with it.

Maybe it's that technology can't possibly match the images I grew up on in movies and comics. Lord knows I am a geek, a nerd and a poindexter when it comes to those things. Hell, I gave my brother his first comic book when he was too young to read (I think he learned when he was 17 LOL) just so he could look at what his "Bubba" was reading.

I've seen videogames go from a simple dot being hit by two sticks to the latest Gears of War type game and to be honest, I have a hard time believing that technology has really bettered the games from the time of the NES or the SNES. Sure we have a better picture or a longer game, but does that make it more fun? Not always.

Maybe that's why I really don't like the technological jumps we've had. Life hasn't become easier because of most of them, it's really made it harder when you have to go out an constantly get the newest version of something that just came out two months ago.

No comments: